Friday, June 4, 2010

June 4 - Wisdom

If I lack wisdom, God, let me ask you for it.  You give liberally to me, and You do not reprimand me for asking.  And it will be given to me.   James 1:5

Here's a theme in scripture that we can't seem to get very far away from.  If we are to live lives that please God; lives that are rich with joy and purpose, we will commit ourselves to seeking and applying God's wisdom in our lives at every turn.

There is far too much garbage in, garbage out in this world. The default in life is our fallen human nature.  Sin.  We don't have to work at it.  It comes to us naturally.

On the other hand, wisdom is something we have to put significant effort into.  "Get" wisdom, as Jane Gregory pointed out a few Sundays ago, is what we are instructed to do in Proverbs 23:23.  It won't just jump on us if we stand still.  We must pursue it.

How does this passage affect your thoughts and actions?

3 comments:

  1. I look at this verse and I see it's not just something to attain, or know, it's something to strive for and go after on a continual basis. I looked at the verse in Proverbs and I saw also in Prov. 4:5, and 4:7 and I saw that it's not jut something to arrive at. It's something to attain continually. Just like you have a goal or a dream to pursue, you have to pursue wisdom. Answering your question, this passage affects my thoughts and actions by looking at wisdom in a new light. Looking at the verses, there all in the present tense(according to the NIV). Which means you have to act right now or immediately. I pray that I will act immediately when it comes to "getting wisdom".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this saying that we get reprimanded for asking for certain things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this verse. One thing that I got out of Proverbs is that if we ask, God will grant us wisdom. As a father and a businessman, I love that peace of mind. I know I am not smart enough to make all the right decisions. I am thankful that God will give me the wisdom I so desperately need!

    ReplyDelete