Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28 - Confess

I acknowledged my sin to You, and I have not hidden my offense.  I said, I will confess my transgressions to the LORD; and You forgave the iniquity of my sin.   Psalm 32:5

Have you ever had someone ask for your forgiveness for "anything I might have done"?  Those words ring hollow if you have pointed out to the person what they did that hurt you.  

You know why?  Because they are not owning the offense.

They don't even have to agree with your assessment of what happened, but if you spell it out and the best they can do is to say they're sorry for anything they might have done to hurt you, then that apology would seem to be insincere. Because they are not owning the hurt they caused you.

So why confess our sins if God already knows what they are? How does that benefit Him?

Well, it doesn't.  It benefits us. 

It causes us to own our sin before God instead of playing some word games that would allow us to gloss it over.

However, the payoff of genuine confession is huge.  

Forgiveness.

What are some experiences you have had with confession? 

1 comment:

  1. Freedom, relief, and a huge weight lifted off of my shoulders from a spiritual sense. Every time I confessed, I felt so much freedom I could not believe that God would see me through some difficult trials in my life, but He is faithful and just(I John 1:9). I read Psalm 51 and David was so remorseful and contrite. It's tough when you first did it, but when you get rid of it, oh, the freedom that comes from it is huge.

    ReplyDelete