Friday, June 25, 2010

June 25 - For

God, if You are for me, who can be against me?   Romans 8:31

When I was a first grader, I was playing GI Joe's with a third grader from down the street.  When it came time to leave, he stole several of my GI Joe things.  Of course, I was powerless to do anything to get them back.

But my older brother wasn't.  He was three years older than the thief and proceeded to go down the street and retreive my stolen items.

There are plenty of ways the analogy will break down, but one way it works is that we are in a war with evil in this world that we are completely overmatched in.

Until we play our trump card.  God ultimately trumps evil.

It's the right side to be on. 

How does this passage make you feel?

3 comments:

  1. That negative voice inside us that insists we aren't good enough, that we are unworthy, that there is no way God can really care about us, that accuser, that condemner is the greatest liar, the same one who hissed in Eve's ear in the Garden.

    We must close our ears to the deceiver and embrace the Good News; God has justified us, his Spirit intercedes for us in prayers with words of great power, and Christ also intercedes for us at God's right hand.

    Even better, as the blog discussed yesterday, Christ is "able to do immeasurably more than we ask or imagine."

    ReplyDelete
  2. This passage makes me feel very confident, yet humble. There are times where I let my fear and anxiety take over my life instead of just letting go and leaving it in the hands of the Father. He is able to do "immeasurably more" than anything I can ask or think because of His power that is in me. I just need to live it out more. Cool feeling, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first thing that popped into my head, that I can really relate too, was the song by the O.C. Supertones, Who Can Be Against Me...

    It seems like everything I touch just falls to pieces
    It seems like everyone I help just falls
    And how I need someone to make me feel assured
    I don't need anyone if You're on my side, Lord

    And I say, hey, who can be against me? No one!

    No matter how hard I try I always fail
    I'll never be like Christ
    I know I'll struggle until the day, the very day I die
    And how I need someone to make me feel assured
    I don't need anyone if You're on my side, Lord

    And I say, hey, who can be against me? No one!

    God look at me, I'm just a man
    But You tell me I'm not just a man
    You're so hard to understand, after all I'm just a man
    God you tell me not to doubt
    But I'm always plagued by doubt
    And You always help me out
    I'm so ashamed of my doubt.

    And I say, hey, who can be against me? No one!

    ReplyDelete