Sunday, June 13, 2010

June 13 - You

LORD, You are my light and my salvation. Whom shall I fear? You are the strength of my life.  Of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

I was looking on Facebook recently and came to a startling conclusion: if the person who writes a comment by a picture is also in the picture, about two thirds of those comments make reference to themselves and how the writer looks in the photo.

Man, it is hard to not focus on ourselves, isn't it?  We do it instinctively.  We're most often not even aware of it because it has become second nature to us.

Yet God calls us to not be the center of our universe.  He says if we'll put Him in that role and live for Him instead of ourselves, He'll reward us by helping us not be afraid, regardless of the uncertainty around us.

Describe your personal reaction to that passage.

2 comments:

  1. The truth is that it is hard to keep your mind fixed on the Lord. We can have every intention of thinking of our Lord and reading His word. However the world and just plain living gets in the way and, we forget where true peace can be found.
    Also when going through life's storms it is hard to trust anyone, even the Lord. The trick is to remember how He has helped you in other storms of your life. God has always been there for us before. He will not let you go now. Remember God loves us unconditionally. He will Not let you down now if you call on Him. God will give you His Peace. ASK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I reflect back to part of a devotional I heard at another congregation a few years ago when the facilitator said, "the day you lived for yourself died the moment you became a Christian." That is profound and powerful because I struggle with living for myself instead of living for Him continually. Don't get me wrong, I love being a Christian and I love serving Him and living for Him; however, there are times I feel loneliness and I start throwing a pity party and I beat myself up a lot. Thank God that I have the support of an awesome Christian family to give me encouragement and powerful statements from God's Word to get me back on track. It also doesn't hurt to re-read Matt. 7:7-12. Peace.

    ReplyDelete