Monday, June 21, 2010

June 21 - Dance

LORD, You have turned my mourning into dancing.  You have put off my mourning clothes and surrounded me with gladness.   Psalm 30:11

There are almost as many types of dancing as there are fingerprints.  Everybody's style is distinct and the things that move each person are unique to that individual.

But one thing that is universal is that dancing almost always indicates happiness or joy.  There are a few types of dances that are laments, but the overwhelming majority come out of a happy or joyful heart.

When this world afflicts us with the evil that is so prevalent, it often brings us to mourning. 

David was a man who experienced both ends of the spectrum.  But he had a deep and profound undersdtanding of what God preferred for us - dancing over mourning. 

What does this tell us about God?

2 comments:

  1. Wayne Hemingway certainly made my heart dance Sunday morning. A great Father's day message from a powerful man of God. I was so thankful my son was home from college for the Summer and heard him. He will be a better Father and I will be a better Grandfather because of the content of Wayne's message.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is a God of joy. I love to dance and the first thing that came to mind was when I went to a wedding reception this past Friday night. I decided to unleash myself and dance. It was great, fantastic and joyful. I was telling the new bride that you and many other people will see a different side of me; however, she just said, hey just be yourself and have fun. I did. I'm glad God is a God of joy both in good times and in times of mourning and bereavement. Thank you Father God for giving us the opportunity to dance for joy. One of my favorite OT Scripture verses is Psalm 30:5. Must read for anyone who is dealing with a loss.

    ReplyDelete