Saturday, June 12, 2010

June 12 - Confident

I am confident of this very thing, that you who have begun a good work in me will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ.   Philippians 1:6

Confidence.  

What a fine line there sometimes is between confidence and arrogance.

This world often applauds arrogance.  Athletes sometimes beat their chest when they make a good play.  Musicians sometimes stand and soak in the applause.  Politicians sometimes disregard what is right for what is personal gain.  Ministers sometimes start to think it is about them.

In all cases, arrogance is despicable in God's eyes.

So how can you tell what is confidence versus what is arrogance?

Confidence often has roots in something other than the individual. 

Recently departed UCLA basketball coach John Wooden had confidence in the concept of team success as opposed to individual glory and it took him to 12 national championships.

John The Baptist had confidence in his calling, as opposed to the instructions of others and it took him to a premature death. 

So what can we be confident in?

That God has begun a good work in you.  You didn't initiate it or create it.

God did. 

What are some of the good works God has called you to? 

1 comment:

  1. Service, beng a surrogate spritiual parent for my three nieces, growing in my relationship to the Lord, spending quality time in His Word, Wrestling with God in some areas of my prayer life, and really enjoying fellowship and commuity are just some of the works that God has done and is doing in me. I just wish I had more community.

    ReplyDelete