Thursday, July 22, 2010

Relying on God when struggling with depression

LORD, You will be a refuge to the oppressed, a refuge in times of trouble.   Psalm 9:9

One thing that is a mainstay in action movies is the chase scene.  While the scenes involving car chases are louder and more testosterone-filled, the chase scenes on foot are far more suspenseful.  And in those scenes, the person being chased is always looking for one thing: a place to hide.

You've been at that point in life, right?  Me too.  The world seems to be caving in, we feel overwhelmed and what we'd like the most is a place to hide.  Well, there's a word for that.

Refuge.

A refuge is a shelter or protection from danger or distress.  We shouldn't feel alone if we feel that way at different points in our lives because God knew we would before we were even born.

That's why He makes this promise to us in the Psalms: I'll be your refuge.  Run to Me.  Hide in Me.  Rest in Me.

The God of all creation waits to shelter you and me.

What does this passage bring to your mind?

3 comments:

  1. This passage brings to mind that the LORD will protect you no matter what you go through. I long for that daily. Thank you LORD for being my strong tower, refuge and my stronghold in times of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This passage means so much to me today especially! I know of LOTS of folks who are going through gut wrenching stuff ~ death of a family member, debt, family turmoil, just to name a few! HE is the source of all comfort and refuge when there is no other place to turn ~ if we could only learn to turn to HIM first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It means a lot to me because I feel depressed, so I felt I needed someone to give one on one help because sometimes that depression is so big that you don't even know what parts or where to give it to God. So I guess when you feel like that instead of just hanging it up give it all to him and leave it there don't pick it back up. Yes, I should of brought it all to him first. You how we can be with our self fix attitude, give some here and I can do this over there. Then oops stuck in a mud slide back to the hole. Take it to him, & just Leave it there!!!!!

    ReplyDelete