Friday, July 30, 2010

Discouragement 2

Lord, You lead me beside still waters.  You restore my soul.   Psalm 23:2-3

Bad behavior is all over the headlines in these times.  Celebrities, actors and athletes who make their living off of the love people have for their talent, unfortunately also live under the glare of the continuous spotlight.  And because of that, their every action is followed.  And their every misstep chronicled.  In detail.

After an incident of bad behavior, many of them have people who begin to work on restoring their image to the public.  They may try to highlight good works they've done or they may get them involved in good works so that people can see they are still worthy of the adulation of the public.  And so they can still sell tickets.

But those of us who don't the papparazzi following our every step also fall into bad behaviors.  Or are victims of someon'e else's.  Our hearts sometimes are filled with desperate thoughts or negative feelings.

When these things linger for very long, they can bring us into a state of discouragement.  And when we're there, what we really need is restoration; God's hand clearly visible to us and in us.

He promises that very thing when we turn to Him.  Not that all the circumstances that brought us to that place will suddenly disappear, but that He will restore us.  And if we know our Father is at work in our lives, we can live in hope and not discouragement.

How does this scripture strike you?

1 comment:

  1. This Scripture strikes me as one of me in desperate need of healing and encouragemnt instead of discourgement. I'm really stuggling with frustration, lack of attention, and loneliness. I need the LORD to lead me beside quiet waters and to restore my soul right now. I can't seem to do anything right at this time and I need his guidance and to follow his lead. Help!

    ReplyDelete