Monday, July 12, 2010

Anxiety 5

I have set You, LORD, always before me, because You are at my right hand, I shall not be moved.  Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoices.  My flesh shall also rest in hope.   Psalm 16:8-9

One of the greatest victims of anxiety is hope.  Worry steals our hope and replaces it with fatalism.  The worst will happen.  It is inevitable.  And here are all the variations of how bad it will look...

A life without hope will take us to dark places that will tear us down and can eventually numb us.

But all the dark places in the world cannot overcome a life that is filled with hope because of our trust in God.

In other words, Bobby McFerrin had it right.  Don't worry, be happy. 

Except God's version is no song refrain.  It is a deep truth rooted in His love for us.

How does this passage make sense to you?

1 comment:

  1. ken (the forgiven)July 12, 2010 at 5:00 PM

    Doubt is like Kudzu. Let it take over one tree and it can cover and kill the entire forest of hope.

    Doubt must be 100% obliterated, a small space left unchecked can grow to block our view of the hope that comes from the Son. Even once you have totally banished doubt (and let me know how you do it...), be on guard as it can take root in almost any situation and has a powerful and tireless sower.

    And know that while doubt may seemingly engulf us, a hope based on God's promises is never far away. We just sometimes have to move some dense Kudzu out of our view.

    And we often need help from our brothers and sisters to move it out of our way so we can get some sonlight into our lives.

    so......would that make me my brothers' greenskeeper..?

    (sorry about the bad puns and tortured analogies... it has been a long day...)

    ReplyDelete