Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Anxiety 6

I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.   Psalm 4:7

Look both ways before you cross the street.  Buckle your seat belt.  Don't get too close to the edge.

From the time we're born, we have people who are looking out for our safety.  And as we grow into adults, we start to look out for our own safety.  And that of our children.  And the cycle repeats.

Safety is paramount to life.  If we are in an environment that isn't safe, we can never relax.  We can never let our guard down.  And that will drain a person of all energy, enthusiasm, happiness and joy.

However, if we feel safe, then the result is peace.

The real question is, "Is there anyplace in this world that is truly safe?"

The real answer is, "Only one."  

In the arms of our Creator.

What is your reaction to this scripture? 

3 comments:

  1. ken (the forgiven)July 13, 2010 at 8:15 AM

    Perhaps I see this differently than many: knowing how safe I am in His care, it frees me to live more openly and "on the edge".

    Not driving crazy or doing stupid things, but to see things differently or approach people more freely: to be bold in my daily walk.

    Not being afraid of the fears and worries that this world inundates us with, we can be more open in how we see God everyday. We can share without fear of rejection. We can talk freely about our faith without being turned away.

    For me, safety is freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For years before I became a Christian I struggled with sleeping when I was worried about things. Nights were the worst. Fears, anxieties, unrealistic expectations, all of these things would haunt me in the wee hours before dawn. Since knowing Christ, the only time I have those sleepness nights are when I am struggling with an issue of safety. Mostly keeping my children safe. In those moments of panic and sleeplessness now, I recite Psalm 139:5 You hem me in-behind and before; you've laid your hand upon me.

    I agree with Ken that safety in Christ is freedom from the fear that strangles the life out of us. Life that was meant to be lived to the fullest and abundantly.

    I came across this verse this morning that I have meditated on today, Psalm 94:19 When anxiety is great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul. Freedom is joy within your soul!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This Scripture gives me peace, confidence, security, and tranquility. The LORD is our nightwatchman and I can rest assuredly that He will take care of me.

    ReplyDelete