Thursday, July 1, 2010

Relying on God in dealing with anger

A soft answer turns away anger.  But harsh words stir up anger....A furious man stirs up strife, but the one who is slow to anger calms strife.   Proverbs 15:1, 18

People who work in the customer service side of retail are usually taught two things: you are going to encounter people who are angry and they are always right.  

The old adage, "The customer is always right," is not right.  We all know that sometimes the customer is dead wrong.

But that's not the point.

The point is in how we treat people who are angry.  We can make the situation enormously worse or we can start the healing process.

All by the way we respond when someone is angry.

What are your thoughts about these two scriptures?

2 comments:

  1. Rick, this is a great life lesson about how to deal with people and ourselves when encountering anger. When I'm angry, I want to be heard, listened to, and why I'm angry to actually be taken into consideration. In other words, please try to see where I'm coming from with my perspective. I should do the same for someone else who is angry: Hear, listen, show consideration for their opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My response to these Scriptures are how true can they be? I struggle with anger sometimes and when I read and re-read these passages, it hit me like a ton of bricks. When I looked at Proverbs 15:18, I looked in my study notes, and it referenced back to Proverbs 6:14. In the note on Prov. 6:14, it looks at the terms, "stirs up dissension", it reads, "Through slander such people create distrust that culminates alienation and conflict." I don't want to be that guy. I also looked at the word, patient. There are some other reference to how you should be patient and the verses that really got to me are James 1:19-20(My dear brothers, take not of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to become angry. for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires). Verse 26 also served as a wake up call to me(If anyone considers himself religious and yet does not keep a tight rein on his tongue, he deceives himself and his religion is worthless). I don't want to be that guy. I don't want my religion/relationship with the Lord to be considered worthless. I am asking God to forgive me when I don't heed what James 1:19-20, 26 says. Lord, please pour your Holy Spirit on me to keep my tongue, my temper, and my emotions in check. Fill me with the fruit of your Spirit daily, constantly, and consistently. Cleanse me from all impurities that make me lose it. Restore me with joy, peace, love, patience, etc. I love you Lord and I want to do YOUR will in my life, not my own. Amen.

    ReplyDelete