Saturday, July 24, 2010

Depression 3

My offenses have gone over my head, as a heavy burden, they are too heavy for me....I am troubled; I am bowed down greatly; I go mourning all day long...my heart pants, my strength fails me.  As for the light of my eyes, it is also gone from me....In You, O LORD, do I hope.  You will hear, O Lord my God...Do not forsake me, LORD.  O my God, do not be far from me.  Make haste to help me, O Lord of my salvation.   Psalm 38:4, 6, 10, 15, 21-22

Desperation.  We've all been there at one point or another.  Maybe at many points.

When we're desperate, we often do crazy things.  Sometimes stupid things.  We may run after unhealthy relationships.  Or we may run after an addiction that bring us a momentary diversion from our troubles.  Desperate times call for desperate measures, right?

If there was one person who was written about in the bible that experienced the highest of highs and the lowest of lows, it was David.  From the mountaintop of being a king that God blessed to the depths or running away from someone trying to murder him to the seemingly bottomless pit of adultery and murder, David had seen it all.  And he wrote those words above.

When he was desperate, he had a rountine he followed: call on the God who is the God of desperate times.  Over and over, David cried out to his God.  And his God rescued him.  Not always immediately.  As a matter of fact, not often immediately.  But He rescued him.

And God called David a man after His own heart. 

Not because David was sinless.  But because he was dependent.

How does this scripture strike you?

1 comment:

  1. This Scripture strikes me by making me realize that God should be priority number one on my list instead of being placed on the back burner or using him as a last resort. Looking at Psalm 38:5-8, David is going through so much pain physically and mentally, I don't know how he or any human for that matter could deal with it except for the grace of God Almighty. Restoration was critical for David to survive and should be critical to me because I don't deserve anything on this earth, but only for God's mercy and grace, I'm standing here today. The final few verses are self explanatory. I need to learn to be more patient, wait for the LORD to answer and be obedient to His ways. Save me daily, O LORD, Save me!

    ReplyDelete