Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Anger 6

A wise man fears and departs from evil, but the fool rages and is reckless. The one who is quickly angered deals foolishly...The one who is slow to anger is of great understanding, but the one who is quick-tempered exalts stupidity. Proverbs 14:16-17, 29

Hair-trigger temper. How many people do you know who are described by that phrase?

Here's one of the problems with that: anger is a powerful control mechanism. It is a sometimes effective means of getting what a person wants and a sometimes effective way of ending a conversation.

However, it comes at a great price. It leads us into evil. It damages and destroys relationships. And even worse, it damages and destroys our reputation and witness.

What are your thoughts on these proverbs?

3 comments:

  1. It's another one of those "hit you right between the eyes" kind of Proverbs. It really speaks to me about how I should exhibit the attributes and qualities that Christ had. I'm a work in progress and we all are. I want to take pride in my humble position as a Jesus-follower. May God be the shield and protection over me and my thoughts, actions, and words. To Him be the glory.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said bdogg. I want Him to be my strength and shield as well and I know He is.

    Does anyone want to be around someone who loses their mind and lashes out and hurts others either physically,emotionally or both at random? Sometimes we have to be, but it's no fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A hair-trigger temper is a tool for the evil one, but a man who controls his anger is imitating God. So then, as James says, "Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires." James 1:19-20.

    God, help me to be your instrument: choosing my words carefully, keeping a cool head, and speaking your Word to others.

    ReplyDelete