Saturday, July 3, 2010

Anger 3

Let everyone be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires.   James 1:19-20

Ratios. 

We've all heard the old adage that God gave us one mouth and two ears and we'd be wise to speak and listen in that ratio.

Really, that's not bad advice.  Because the slow to speak part of that equation helps keep anger in check.  It is when we react first, then think second that we get into trouble.

But the biggest lesson of this verse may be the realization that unchecked anger causes us to drift further and further away from God.

And that is a ratio we want nothing to do with.

What speaks to you in this scripture?

2 comments:

  1. When thinking about bring quick to hear, I was thinking about how when I am actively listening, I am not focused on me but rather on someone else. By nature, we are self centered, but Jesus was always concerned with meeting the needs of others. Even unto death. That's alot to swallow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just the fact the I need the help of the Holy Spirit to keep my tongue in check. It says I need to think before I speak/act. Sometimes I do that; however, other times, I don't. I want to live a righteous life that God would be pleased with when I leave this world. Verse 26 of James 1 says if you can't keep you tongue in check(I'm paraphrasing here), your religion means NOTHING! I don't want to be known as a person whose religion is worthless. I hope and pray daily that God will be first in my lifestyle, my walk, my speech, my emotions, my thoughts, etc. God is first in everything(Matt. 6:33). Period.

    ReplyDelete