Thursday, July 15, 2010

Relying on God when handling conflict

Be complete, be of good comfort, be of one mind, live in peace; and, I, the God of love and peace, will be with you.   2 Corinthians 13:11

We enjoy seeing the right thing done.  Especially when it is done our way.

So how do we navigate the choppy waters in which two people are completely convinced they are doing the right thing, yet they are 180 degrees apart?

We've all been there.  Neither side is going to back down.  Both sides know they are right.  And so the conflict takes root.

And Satan laughs.

How can we be of good comfort when we cannot be of one mind?  

Maybe it starts with the understanding that every issue is not a fall-on-my-sword issue.  When we make every conflict a battle that we must win, we will eventually realize a hard truth the hard way:

We may win the battle of the day, but in the process, we are losing the war.  Because the bottom line of that mindset is that we lose God's presence and comfort.

What does this scripture say to you? 

3 comments:

  1. I have been struggling with a house contract for months now. But last week, the struggle ceased for me. I was listening to a speaker on God's favor and I heard him say that in circumstances when we know we are right, but we don't see Gods favor on us, then we should look for ways to pour out God' s favor on the others involved. It's amazing how little control Satan has when you are pouring out blessings from God on others.

    Whether the house contractworks out or falls apart, God' s love is going to radiate from me! There is freedom in letting go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would imagine this is something that everyone has to deal with. But on a larger scale, isn't this something our church has to deal with...with other churches? There are obvious reasons for different types of churches, which is fine, but why do we use that as a description of who we are or where we come from? Shouldn't we all be able to be of one mind when it comes down to our fundamental beliefs?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What this Scripture says to me is that if I let God handle my battles, I can pick and choose which ones to fight and He will give me comfort because through him, we win.

    ReplyDelete