Friday, July 9, 2010

Anxiety 2

When I said, my foot slips, Your mercy, O LORD, held me up. Psalm 94:18

We all know someone who is an uber-rule-keeper. They have some inner sense that everything has to be perfect. That it CAN be perfect.

Truth is, we all have wrestled with that at times. Some of us are just worse than others. Maybe much worse.

The problem with the uber-rule-keeper personality is that it trumps mercy.

And having a strong sense of mercy is essential to properly handing our worries over to God.

Mercy and legalism cannot co-exist. And I choose mercy every time. At least I really want to.

How about you?

2 comments:

  1. I love the mercy thing. Legalism is one of the things that can drive people from Christianity and I was feeling like that at one point in my life. I'm glad that God did not let go of me even though there are times that I thought he was leaving me stranded. He was alwats there, he just wanted me to come back to him and become the pilot of my life and I enjoy my role as a co-pilot. Thank you LORD for loving me, thank you LORD for blessing me, thank you LORD for making me whole and saving my soul. Peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a hard topic that led me to a scary conclusion: "...but Israel, who pursued a law of righteousness has not attained it (righteousness). Why not? Because they pursued it not by faith but as it were by works." Romans 9:31-32

    They pursued it not by faith. Am I pursuing righteousness by my own effort or am I pursuing righteousness by letting God mold me through faith in his love and mercy?

    Am I stumbling over Jesus as if he were a rock on my path to pursuing righteousness? Can I not see him? He is the rock of my salvation.

    Oh God, help me to see him for you have warned us: "See, I lay in Zion a stone that causes men to stumble and a rock that makes them fall, and the one who trusts in him will never be put to shame." Rom. 9:33

    Help me to see the rock and to trust in him for mercy so that I will not be put to shame.

    ReplyDelete