Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Depression 7

When I cried out to You, the LORD God of my fathers, You heard my voice and looked on my affliction, and my labor, and my oppression.   Deuteronomy 26:7

Have you ever been in a conversation, explaining what you consider to be something important, and the people to whom you're speaking just start talking amongst themselves?

Of course.  That's happened to us all.

But it still makes us feel foolish, doesn't it?  Like what we're saying doesn't matter or the people to whom we're speaking don't care.

In the middle of depression, a person feels alone.  They deeply desire to be heard, to think that what they say or think has value or meaning to the people they care about.

Well, here's a promise that every person who has ever struggled with depression needs to hear: when you cried out to God, He heard you.  He listens and He cares about your affliction and your oppression.

That means something very important that needs to be imprinted on your soul.

You are not alone.

What does this verse make you think of?

3 comments:

  1. David had many sad times in his life, but I particularly love the way his lyrics that God keeps our tears in a bottle, that he keeps a record of every tear. Psalm 56 (ASV)

    Wow. The song is about persecution and treachery, but David sums up his song with "in God I trust". We are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This verse makes me think of how God wants me to come to him even in the most difficult of circumstances. I feel alone at times, but it cool to realize that I am not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It reminds me of how blessed I am to know God. In my struggles, I have somewhere to turn. It's not mystical or made up; it's real. I am armed with a heavy weapon to fight anything I come across--especially depression. Depression is no small matter and I am happy for the fact that I don't have to lean on myself for the answers; God is enough for me. I am so glad to gift that to my children as well--the security in knowing they will never be alone; furthermore, doctors are not the ultimate resource, God is.

    ReplyDelete