Sunday, August 1, 2010

Discouragement 4

Because I have set my love upon You, You will deliver me.  You will set me on high, because I have known Your name.  I call on You, and You will answer me.  You will be with me in trouble; You will deliver and honor me.   Psalm 91:14-15

Dead center.

Have you ever thought about what is dead center in your life?  Seems like a cliche question until we consider that how we live from moment to moment actually answers it truthfully for us, regardless of what words we might use to answer it.

How many times have we made the statement, "Well, I guess all we can do now is pray"?  That answer betrays where our heart is.  It says that God is a last resort after we've tried everything else.

When we wrestle with discouragement, it usually means we've tried everything we can try and have failed.  We've used every weapon in our arsenal and come up short.

The Psalmist tells us what we already know.  Dead center is not us.  Dead center is God the Creator.

Our problem is not in the knowledge.  It is in the application.

What are your thoughts on these verses?

3 comments:

  1. Great thoughts. Easier said than done. I'm still trying to set my love on the Lord, each day every day, after being a Christian for 40 years. But it is by far the most important thing to do in this life and even the life to come. Everything should revolve around Him.

    I feel a little sad that we don't know the Father's name for sure or how to say it, but I will keep seeking Him diligently through the name we do know, Jesus the Christ.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking at this Scripture passage, I kept thinking about James 1:22(Don't be just hearers of the Word, do what it says). Man, I'm such a knucklehead when it comes to doing what the Word says, it's not even funny. I just need to let God be my first option and not my last resort.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The psalmist has a trusting and diligent faith to praise God with these words! What amazing faith and devotion, and what joy can fill me if I do the same...if God is with me, who can be against me? You hear me, and I speak to You candidly. I am honest and You know my heart. When I ask, I know it is to voice my wants, but I trust Your response will be what I need, dear Lord. What more can I do than to ask You, Creator of the earth? You will take me in Your arms and seize my enemies. You are everything to me, and this life is for You!

    ReplyDelete