Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Doubt 4

If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him.  But when he asks, he must believe and not doubt, because he who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind.  That man should not think he will receive anything from the Lord; he is a double-minded man, unstable in all he does.   James 1:5-7

Wisdom is an interesting thing. 

How can you tell how much wisdom a person has?  Can a man be partially wise?  Can a woman possess some wisdom in some areas, but none in others? 

In many ways, wisdom falls into the category of the old phrase, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

True wisdom comes from one source and one source alone: The Creator of the Universe.  And the amazing thing is that He desperately desires to lay it on us.

But there's a catch.  There's one condition that absolutely, positively will blow any chance of us ever gaining Godly wisdom.  The dealbreaker on receiving wisdom is...doubt.  God won't send His wisdom on us if we doubt Him.

Sounds easy, right?  Wrong.  We all know better.

Earnestly seek His face today.  Beg Him for wisdom.  Ask Him to forgive all doubt and take it far, far away.

And be transformed.  How will people know when you've been transformed?  Well, they won't be able to describe it, but they'll know it when they see it.

What are your thoughts on this passage?

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts and heart overwhelms with the idea of His wisdom being laid on me, a wretched sinner, transformed. I loooove my God! How amazing is He! Look for me, dear Lord, I am knocking on Your door in search of Your gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the way you put a spin on this passage. I looked at the study notes in my Bible and in verse 5, I was amazed, "Wisdom enables one to face trials with 'pure joy'. Wisdom is not jsut acquired information, but practical insight with spirtual implications." Just like putting on the "Full Armor of God"(Eph. 6:10-18), or getting filled with the Holy Spirit, Wisdom is not just a one time thing you get at conversion time. It's a constant daily thing. Just like you need gas for your car, and food for your stomach, you need spirtiual food through prayer, Bible Study, fellowship, service, etc. This Christian life is a constant thing and it's something that I am learning more about on a daily and consistent basis. Going all out and believing in Him, is something I want to do daily. I know this will not be an easy task, but I am going to stay the course because I have a crown and a room in heaven waiting on me.(1 Cor. 9:26-27, John 14:1-3)

    ReplyDelete