Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Doubt 7

Then the eleven disciples went to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had told them to go.  When they saw him, they worshiped him; but some doubted.   Matthew 28:16-17

After Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, the religious leaders decided to kill Him.

Read that sentence again.  It is a sentence that should make absolutely no sense whatsoever.  Yet it isn't a misprint.

AFTER Jesus pulled off the most impossible of miracles; bringing a man back to life who had been dead for four days, His opponents didn't fall to their knees in praise or worship or submission.  They set their collective jaw against the Creator of the Universe and His Son.  They were so blinded by their own hatred, they ignored irrefutable proof of Jesus' claims.

Amazing.

What's more amazing, though, might be the reaction of His disciples.  After everything they had been through with Christ, some of them still couldn't get their head around two things: the fact that Jesus was standing with them after being tortured and murdered and all the implications that fact carried with it.

Before we come down too hard on the disciples, let's remember our own struggles with faith.

"Blessed is the man who does not fall away on account of Me." - Jesus

What are your thoughts on this scripture?

3 comments:

  1. Doubt is a powerful tool. Not only is it a sign of a faith needing some help, it can make the condition even worse!

    I think this is why God gives us daily insight into His power and authority. Millions of folks saw last night's (Aug 10) sunset, but how many of us saw it as a reminder of God's power and love for us? The God that can create a sunset like that just for us surely has power over all the little worries that we come up with in our minds.

    Satan would love for me to get wrapped up in my 'problems' so that my brain dismisses that sunset as so much dust in the air.....

    And for that reason, God sends another reminder to me today. Maybe it is another sunset. Maybe a kind word or a smile from a stranger. And tomorrow there will be more. And He will send millions of reminders until I walk with Him and have all my doubts vanquished for eternity.

    Then I will ask myself, "Why did I doubt?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Because of my own blindness, I am not surprised. I am just so glad He will forgive me and let me try again. That is the beautiful part about it--His grace. What would I do without it? I surely would be dead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts on this Scripture is that looking at it from a contextual standpoint, the disciples were still numb to the fact the Jesus was crucified and it took them some time to believe in the His resurrection and it their belief was not instataneous. I also think that everyone has doubts at one time or another. It's how you answer that doubt that makes the difference. I kind of view it as part of a grieving process. Some people survive their loss immediately, while others may take a little longer. This Christian walk is not a sprint, it's a journey and it's not an easy one, but I'm glad I'm still part of this journey because I don't want to be flying solo on this ride.

    ReplyDelete