Friday, August 6, 2010

Doubt 2

"'If you can'?" said Jesus. "Everything is possible for him who believes."   Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe; help me overcome my unbelief!"   Mark 9:23-24

What do you believe in most fervently?  The stock market has let everyone down in the past couple of years, so we really can't believe in that.  How about our talents or gifts?  Well, they may serve us well for a number of years, but they'll eventually fail us, without fail.  That's what Brett Favre is wrestling with right now.

But what about friends or family?  The people we're closest to and love the most?  Nope.  They all, regardless of how incredible they are, have a fundamental flaw: they are human.  They will let us down at some point.  We really can't put our belief in them either.

As a matter of fact, there is no person or thing on this earth we can unconditionally believe in.  Including ourselves.  We really are our own worst enemy in some ways.

Our answer to the initial question would be God, the Creator of the Universe.  And of course, that's the right answer.

But what keeps us from living like it? 

Or maybe the better question is, what are we missing out on in our lives by believing in anything or anyone else?

What do you think about this scripture?

2 comments:

  1. I think this Scripture makes me stop and take a look at who and what I should truly believe in. I am my own worst enemy/critic when it comes to doing things on my own. I also learn that people can let you down, not all of the time, but they can do that on occasion. I'm beginning to accept that. When all else fails, trust God. He will not leave me nor will he forsake me. If I can only just live like that. Today is a new day and I'm looking forward to living like God has my back when no one else does.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of a time when I put my worth and value into things that let me down; even while trying not to. People are an easy thing to put your belief in since they are there; talking in front of you with a voice that you don't have to concentrate to hear. God is harder because you have to let so much go when you come into His presence and really hear what He has to say. It requires a lot of effort and daily devotion to Him and His plan for you. It is very difficult to finally allow Him to take over but once its done, it is such a relief.

    ReplyDelete