Thursday, August 19, 2010

Finances 7

A life devoted to things is a dead life, a stump; a God-shaped life is a flourishing tree.   Proverbs 11:28  

Everything in life is relative, isn't it?

One man appears to be filthy rich to another, but to yet another, he looks poor.  One woman's car is nicer than some people's cars, but not as nice as others.  One kid's toys are better than some of his friends, but not as good as others.

There is always someone who has more and nicer and shinier things than we do, isn't there?  And then there is always someone who has less than we do.  Right?

If we know this, why do allow ourselves to get caught up in materialism that throws us into the slavery of debt and steals our opportunities to serve others?

I guess it goes back to our human nature.  When we feed our selfish, self-centered side, it always asks for more.  It is never, ever satisfied.

But when we feed our Christ-like nature, it has an incredible result.

It fills our souls.

How do you feel about this scripture?

2 comments:

  1. I feel that this Scripture is like life in a nutshell. If you fall for the here and now and don't keep focused on the big picture of life eternal, you'll get caught up and swept away like a hurricane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can an object do for my soul; for my well-being? How can I run the race towards my God-filled life when I have the stipulation that things make me happy? How then can I serve my Lord? It is a double-loyalty that is fruitless. Thanks to the Lord for His wisdom!

    ReplyDelete