Saturday, May 15, 2010

Words - Chapter 15

Words.

They fly off our tongues at light speed.

Sometimes they touch and warm a heart that is parched. Sometimes they worm their way into a soul, doing untold damage for years to come.

The lesson tomorrow morning is from the book of James, chapter 3. It is all about words. See which verses in chapter 15 of Proverbs strike home with you and then revisit this entry again after hearing what James has to say tomorrow and share further insights you have gained from both sets of verses.

By the way, please forgive the tardiness of getting this posted today. Last night's storm took out the Internet at our house and also at the Bammel building, so I'm crawling along getting this done on my cell phone.

5 comments:

  1. Thank you, Rick, for posting the verses for tomorrow; ill revisit as you suggested! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why is it so hard to remember that "A gentle answer turns away wrath"? I don't encounter wrath all that often, but when I do, this is certainly the verse I most wish to remember.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rick, I appreciate the connection you made between this chapter and James 3. And I applaud your courage to tell us that we at Bammel need to mind our tongues. Now. But I can't leave Proverbs 15 without mentioning verses 13a and 15b. They're also about words, just indirectly. If we have a joyful, cheerful heart and face, cheerful words likely follow. Joy is such a critical part of Christian life, such an enormous blessing to own. These two verses remind me to always be working for, and cherishing, God's joy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chapter 15 is the most powerful chapter of Proverbs that I have read in this challenge. IT's making me realize that I'm a mess; however, God can turn it into a message. Once again, I'm convicted. In fact, I'm wrestling with my faith. I'll tell you more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vs. 10 - "He who hates correction will die."
    Vs. 32 - "He who ignores discipline despises himself,
    but whoever heeds correction gains understanding."

    Our pride is our enemy in this one. When I receive a word of correction, if my mind is under Satan's influence, I immediately begin trying to take the rough edges off of what I was told, rationalizing that it is the CORRECTOR that has issues, not me.

    Granted, some correction is not correction. It's just malice. BUT if what I am receiving is true correction, the one giving it to me wants GOOD for me, and I need to RECEIVE it as someone giving me a powerful medicine for my spirit. They want what is best for me. I need to want that BEST for myself, even if the medicine is bitter going down.

    ReplyDelete