Sunday, May 2, 2010

What is God saying to you? Chapter 1

So often, we read scripture through the lens of academic pursuit.  We can easily get caught up in the pursuit of trying to know more things instead of trying to grow. Knowledge is not the goal of scripture.  Transformation is.  Personal change is. Knowledge is a part of the path to get to transformation, but it is a mean, not the end goal (Romans 12:1-2).

Becoming more like Christ is much more than trying to cram facts about Him into our heads.  It is about letting scripture inhabit us, change us and mold us more and more into the image of our Savior.

With that in mind, we launch into our month of reading through Proverbs. Saturday, May 1 - Chapter 1.

What did God reveal to you that was meaningful or profound or transforming in chapter 1?

Respond in the comments section here for chapter 1.  I'll set up a new post for each day so we can keep our chapters separate.

May God bless you in unexpected ways as we seek His wisdom in Proverbs.


7 comments:

  1. in 1:29 I see it as my responsibility to choose the fear of the Lord...it's very intentional! Then consequences, both good and bad, will come from those choices...the ball is in my court! Lord may we all choose well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this and I found that I don't want to be complacent. I want to be transformed and enjoy God's protection. I want wisdom that springs up like a fountain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Rick with the Bible Study ending for the summer break. I need this!
    pr

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is the first time I've seen a common thread in vss. 19 and 31.

    Vs. 19 - "Such is end of all who go after ill-gotten gain; it takes away the lives of those who get it."

    Vs. 31 - "They will eat the fruit of their ways and be filled with the fruit of their schemes."

    Both verses refer to a longing that is FILLED for me when I go after the wrong things. I DO RECEIVE something. Solomon's warning I think here is to not mistake my what I gain or accomplish as God's will just because I get "full." I may be filling up on something that is not what I'm REALLY after. A common example would be an addiction obtained while trying to "escape" from the problem that really needs a healing touch, or the constant want for more stuff in order to feel fulFILLED.I may get the "Stuff", may even feel FULL, but ultimately I'm full of the wrong thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bloggerdogg said it best! To enjoy God's protection. Never thought of it like that. Thanks Kev...oh mean dogg :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Verse 23 "If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you." This reminds me of Jesus' words in Matt. 23:37 "O Jerusalem, Jerusalem, the one who kills the prophets and stones those who are sent to her! How often I wanted to gather your children together, as a hen gathers her chicks under her wings, but you were not willing!"

    God longs to pour out his heart to us as He gathers us close to Him. If we will only listen, we will be strong beyond imagination!

    God give me a listening heart, ready for knowledge and instruction from you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The fear of the Lord creates it all. It creates humility in us, it creates a want and need for knowledge and understanding, which in turn points us to seeking wisdom, then finally, resting in Him. I feel that fear is a weak word for what I have for my Lord--I feel reverence, love, cognizance in the presence of holiness, and respect. Those feelings depict my fear.

    ReplyDelete