Saturday, May 29, 2010

Pride and prejudice - Chapter 29

I believe pride is at the heart of every sin.  No sin occurs without pride being in the mix.  And yet, pride may be the most difficult sin to see in ourselves.  It is a paradox of human behavior like no other.

On top of that, by reading chapter 29 (and all the other chapters, for that matter), we can see where unchecked pride ultimately takes us and what our end will be if we do not humble ourselves and allow God to lift us up.

What verses spoke to you in this chapter?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not really sure what "conclusion" I'm taking from today's reading, but it certainly afforded me something to chew on.

    7 The righteous care about justice for the poor,
    but the wicked have no such concern.
    14 If a king judges the poor with fairness,
    his throne will always be secure.

    This is a struggle that we all have and don't talk about much: how do we bless those who have less than us?

    There is a discussion/debate about what really BLESSES the "poor," as they are to in this chapter.
    Do we bless by just GIVING or is that enabling them and therefore not truly blessing them?

    I have searched for the answer to these questions and do not think I've touched the hem of the right garment for that answer yet. But these verses do add wisdom to my struggle: There needs to be an element of JUSTICE and FAIRNESS to what I do or don't do.

    Plenty to chew on, but I can't say I've digested this all yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Verses 5, 7, 11, 16, 19, 22, and 26. These verses make me realize that my pride needs to be 86ed to become the man that God wants me to be.

    ReplyDelete