Sunday, August 15, 2010

Finances 4

Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked or stand in the way of sinners or sit in the seat of mockers.  But his delight is in the law of the LORD, and on his law he meditates day and night.  He is like a tree planted by streams of water, which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. Whatever he does prospers.   Psalm 1:1-3

Prosperity. 

There are a whole lot of preachers out there proclaiming the good news that God wants you to be rich.  And they're not talking about Heaven.  They're talking about right now, here on this earth.  And if you're not, you may (probably) have a faith issue.

Hmmmm....

What about the poor widow gave two small coins (all that she had) and was commended by Jesus?  No record of her driving up in a new chariot the next day.

What about the man who already was rich?  Didn't Jesus tell him to give away his possessions and focus on heaven instead?  No record of him doing so, only Jesus' remarks about how hard it is for a rich person to go to heaven.

Prosperity is a strange thing.  As a matter of fact, it is totally a perspective thing.  If we are in a mindset of this world being the end-all, then it makes sense that we would want as much as we could get while we're here.

But if we believe God's promises of a better place; a far, far better place where there will be no such thing as moving trucks, then prosperity takes on a whole new meaning.

And it has nothing to do with money.

What are your thoughts on this passage?

2 comments:

  1. My thoughts on this passage are that I have a different perspective on reading this and on reading the notes associated with this verse. Verse 1 talks about being blessed; however, not necessarily in the monetary sense, but in the sense of the condition that we believers have in fearing the LORD(with reverence, love and awe). Verse 2 is really powerful because I want to constantly seek guidance in my life by following God's law instead of going on the advice of the wicked. Verse 3 is about striving for righteousness so I can yield fruit and not wither like a tree.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never got to comment on this passage when it appeared, but was glad to read it on a day I really needed it. I was at work and realized when someone approached me with negativity that they had been in counsel with one who gossips. I let it get to me. I lost sleep that night worrying about what else they could have talked about, or how it could affect me and my workplace. I thought I was not going to get through it. I thought there would be no solution. Truthfully, there's not a solution for the situation as I was trying to think of it. The solution for my life is in the scriptures--do not stand in the way of sinners; nor shall I sit in the seat of mockers. What good will it do for me to fight back, to "fix" the gossip? Is that even possible? People will believe what they want to believe and it begins in their hearts. If their hearts are full of negativity, then there is nothing I can do to change that; I just need to get out of the way and pray that they change; God will do the rest.
    I read this scripture on a very scary day and I've realized all of these things since then. What, then, should I fear? Nothing! What is there to fear? With my heart in the right place and my hands doing the work of God, I have absolutely nothing to fear. I would have plenty to fear if I reciprocated the behavior. Then, I would fill my life with anguish. Staying out of it and praying for them is the only solution, and it's the solution that Jesus gives us and the same one that He lived. To think that I am a better problem solver than Jesus was would be ignorance. I shall keep my peace, pray for my enemies, and do the same as He did long ago.
    How does this relate to prosperity? With this decision in my heart, I am prosperous! I have freedom and joy! I am a tree living by the stream--my leaves do not wither. My God feeds me continuously because I'm always thinking about making Him happy, not making others happy. He teaches me how to act and react to those who oppose me. Choosing Him over Satan makes my world make sense! My own sin does not kill me and make me hate my existence. I live life to the fullest. In me, all things come to a ball of happiness because I have no worry. My delight is in the Lord. That is my definition of prosperity--He fills me up and my cup runs over.

    ReplyDelete